Shopify empowers businesses to create e-commerce websites.
Technologies: MySQL, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, and GraphQL.
Developer (Jun 2021 – April 2022)
ApplyBoard connects international students and recruitment partners to educational opportunities at institutions around the world.
Senior Software Engineer (Nov 2020 – May 2021)
- Increased test speed by 80% saving over 1 hour per build.
- Built a proxy that allows internal API consumers that cannot authenticate with cookies to use JWT instead.
Drop is a rewards app that allows users to shop at the brands they love, and automatically get rewarded.
Software Engineer (Nov 2019 – Apr 2020)
- Implemented scalable features and experiments and worked with the data team to measure impact.
- Redesigned the app to accommodate Drop’s pivot from being a shopping-focused app to a lifestyle one.
Financeit helps businesses boost their sales by allowing them to offer point-of-sale loans for their products and services.
Technologies: MySQL, Looker, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, and Elasticsearch.
Software Developer (Jan 2018 – Nov 2019)
- Led the development of the loan renewals project which allowed over $3M in loans to be sold per month.
- Used a data-driven approach in collaboration with internal stakeholders to improve the efficiency of the Operations team saving over 100 hours per month.
- Introduced experimentation to the development process by integrating an A/B testing framework, coaching developers, and working with the Business Intelligence team to incorporate the results in their analyses.
- Participated in upgrading Ruby on Rails to a new major version and increased test coverage by over 5%.
- Ensured availability of the website using proactive and reactive measures leading to uptime of over 99.9%.
- Increased the security of the website and reduced the number of known vulnerabilities to 0 by fixing known threats such as cross-site scripting, SQL injection, and other Ruby-on-Rails-specific issues.
Green Brick Labs
Green Brick Labs develops various cryptocurrency applications including a Bitcoin-powered internet gambling platform.
Junior Developer (Aug 2016 – Dec 2017)
- Mentored new hires by guiding them through the codebase, culture, and expectations.
- Constructed complex queries to accommodate an inflexible database architecture.
- Participated in architecture discussions taking UI mock-ups, creating API and database designs, and breaking down features into smaller tickets for the development team to consume.
- Dealt with a demanding client gathering requirements, discussing design decisions, managing expectations, and presenting demos.
- Sat on the Hiring Committee leading technical job interviews and suggesting improvements to the interview process.
eCenter Research specializes in affordable web-based data solutions to fulfill healthcare organizations’ research management, client management, and online assessment hosting needs.
Software Engineer (May 2011 – Aug 2014)
- Developed and maintained a website to administer and manage psychological assessments used by healthcare providers including Health Canada.
- Created a user-friendly tool to generate custom individual and aggregate patient reports.
Master of Science (MSc) (2016)
Thesis: “Adding Run-Time Monitoring to UML-RT by Modifying the Papyrus-RT Code Generator”
Advisor: Juergen Dingel
Bachelor of Science with Honours (BSc Hons) (2014)
Major: Computing Systems
Specializations: Computer Science and Software Engineering
College of Banking and Financial Studies
Higher National Diploma in Computing (2009)
Youth Science Canada (YSC)
Canada-Wide Science Fair (CWSF) Judge (2022)
The week-long CWSF brings together the country’s top young scientists in grades 7-12/Cégep. In addition to scientific, social, and cultural activities, the 500 finalists compete for medals, cash prizes, scholarships, and exclusive opportunities.
Toronto Science Fair (TSF) Judge (2022)
TSF is the organization responsible for the Regional Science Fair for Toronto. TSF seeks to offer a top-quality science fair experience for all students in Toronto. Winners can compete in the Canada-Wide Science Fair.
Queen’s University Society for Graduate and Professional Students (SGPS)
SGPS Judicial Committee (2015 – 2016)
The Judicial Committee resolves complaints about the non-academic behaviour of SGPS members. The Committee’s jurisdiction includes violations of the SGPS bylaws and university code of conduct; public disturbances at SGPS-sponsored events; and cases of harassment, intimidation, assault, vandalism, theft, willful or damage to property against members of the Queen’s community.
SGPS Council MSc Liaison (2014 – 2016)
The SGPS Council is the legislative body of the SGPS and is responsible for directing and overseeing the activities of the executives, for formulating and authorizing policies, and acting as a liaison between the executives and the ordinary members of the SGPS.
Queen’s University Graduate Computing Society (GCS)
GCS Graduate Committee MSc Officer (2014 – 2016)
Collaborated on curriculum and exam development, met with students upon request, and graded all written work, including final exam papers.
Trent University Department of Computing and Information Systems (COIS)
COIS Program Committee Student Representative (2013 – 2014)
The Program Committee is concerned with matters related to the operation of the department including accreditation, course selection and design, and gathering feedback.
Kingston Frontenac Public Library
Coder Dojo (2015)
Coder Dojo provides a fun and welcoming environment for children and youth to develop computer coding skills for web, app, and game design.
Teaching Assistant – to Professor Farhana Zulkernine in “Introduction to Cognitive Science” (2014 – 2016)
Coordinated the teaching assistants’ efforts to answer questions, organize study sessions, and mark exams.
Teaching Assistant – to Professor Sabine McConnell in “Digital Logic” (2013)
Assisted with labs and marked exams.
Run-time Monitoring of a Rover: MDE Research with Open Source Software and Low-cost Hardware
EduSymp/[email protected] 2016
Adding Run-Time Monitoring to UML-RT by Modifying the Papyrus-RT Code Generator
Supporting the model-driven development of real-time embedded systems with run-time monitoring and animation via highly customizable code generation
ACM/IEEE 19th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems
Model Refinement Using Runtime Information
Queen’s Graduate Computing Society Conference (QGCSC) 2015
IEEE Computer Society (2021 – Present)
The IEEE Computer Society is the premier source for information, inspiration, and collaboration in computer science and engineering. Connecting members worldwide, the Computer Society empowers the people who advance technology by delivering tools for individuals at all stages of their professional careers.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) (2021 – Present)
IEEE is the world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. IEEE and its members inspire a global community to innovate for a better tomorrow through its more than 400,000 members in more than 160 countries, and its highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities. IEEE is the trusted “voice” for engineering, computing, and technology information around the globe.
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) (2021 – Present)
ACM brings together computing educators, researchers, and professionals to inspire dialogue, share resources, and address the field’s challenges.
President’s Honour Roll (2014)
The President’s Honour Roll was established in 2000 to recognize students who have achieved a minimum cumulative average of 80% or better overall.
Dean’s Honour Roll (2010 – 2012, 2013 – 2014)
The Dean’s Honour Roll was established in 1986 to recognize students who have achieved 80% or better in their most recent session and have maintained a minimum cumulative average of 75% overall.
Arabic – native language
English – speak, read, and write fluently